Lytham Windmill

Windmills have featured in Lytham’s history for hundreds of years. In 1805 Richard Cookson sought and obtained a lease from the Squire for a plot of land on which to build a ‘windy milne’. Later, in 1860, when the prestigious houses in the area were being built the residents looked upon the Windmill as an "industrial nuisance"!

On the 2nd January 1919 a tremendous gale turned the sales despite the powerful brake and sparks ignited the woodwork. The Windmill was quickly ravaged by fire, the interior being entirely gutted. The Windmill remained derelict until 1921 when it was given by the Squire to the Lytham Urban District Council. In 1989 the windmill was restored by Fylde Borough Council and opened to the public. Lytham Windmill is run in partnership with Fylde Borough Council and Lytham Heritage Group.

The Windmill is situated on Lytham Green and is open to the public during the season and entry is free of charge. Donation boxes are available for anyone wishing to make a donation to the Heritage Group.

The Windmill acts as a Tourist Information point during the season and houses exhibitions and displays which are organized by the Lytham Heritage Group, these include explanations of the milling processes and a history of this grade II listed building. The basement shows Tableaux of life in Victorian Lytham.

Opening Times (Seasonal Attraction)
10.30am to 1pm and 2pm to 4.30pm Easter (2 weeks), and Late May Bank Holiday to early September.
Open National Mills Weekend (mid-May)

Enquiries to: Visitor & Travel Information Centre, Town Hall, Lytham St Annes, FY8 1LW

Windmill Phone (Seasonal): 01253 794879

St Annes Visitor & Travel Information: 01253 725610

E-mail: touristinformation [at] fylde [dot] gov [dot] uk

Web: www.visitlythamstannes.co.uk

Copyright © 2017 Lancashire County Council.

Website by Countryscape