Lytham St Annes Lifeboat Museum

Lytham St Annes Lifeboat Museum

(Temporarily closed)

The Lytham Lifeboat Museum opens during summer and contains many artefacts and photographs telling the history of Lytham’s Lifeboats from 1851 to the present day. The first lifeboat in Britain was stationed at Lytham by the Shipwrecked Mariners Society which later became the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. There are many displays providing in-depth coverage of the RNLI in general and Lytham’s lifeboats, including the wreck of the Mexico, still one of the worst disasters in RNLI history.

Lytham Lifeboat Museum occupies the former Lifeboat House, which was built in 1863 out of cobblestones, a feature of many buildings in Lytham. It is situated next to the windmill on Lytham Green overlooking the river, less than half a mile from the current Lifeboat Station.

Open for the summer season.

Copyright © 2017 Lancashire County Council.

Website by Countryscape